Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kentucky's Finest Honey: Clean, White and Pretty


I would have never thought that I, a person who is normally squeamish around stinging insects, would be able to walk close to over 700.000 working honey bees. After filming with Larry Marks at his home and small beekeeping business, however, I have gained a new respect for the small creatures. "They can always tell when new people come around," Mr. Marks said as a worker bee analyzed (and stung) one of our film crew, "They sense a new smell and it's their instinct to find and inspect it." Having been fascinated by honey bees at a young age, Mr. Marks decided to continue his family hobby and become the fifth generation of Marks' to work with bees. Intelligent and hard-working, honey bees are organized and follow strict guidelines on a day to day basis. They do all that they can to ensure that their hive is producing as much as it can and is protected at all times. With close to 150 working hives, Larry is now selling his clover honey at his home in Bloomfield, "People come from all around to buy my honey, they can't wait 'til I put up my sign that says I have honey for sale."

1 comment: